Monday, September 22, 2008

invitation to join deliberately barren

I’ve hidden this blog away like a treasure to be explored on a rainy day.

That day has now come (though there is more wind than rain) and I am opening deliberately barren to become a collaborative blog with any other women who are child-free, child-less, infertile or just didn’t quite get around to having children, to join in.

The title is in honour of Australia’s first female deputy Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, jibe from the enlightened Mr Heffernan – stating she was unfit for leadership because she was ”deliberately barren”.

This forum is open to be read by all – men, women, parents, step-parents, bereaved parents – with contributions by women who fall into the category of barren whether through choice or circumstances, deliberately or not. There is the opportunity to celebrate, grieve, laugh, rant, raise awareness and much more. But most of all, it is time for us to come out of the shadows.

If you would like to be part of this collaboration email me – otherrants (at) gmail (dot) com.

2 comments:

Andra said...

I look forward to reading more fabulous feminist discussion here after your invitation to participate has gone out.

I have felt my whole political being shift into alignment with parenthood. I had thought that being a fighter (aka feminist) was the province of the young. Age, not gender, would weary us.

But our beliefs are so biologically driven. Testosterone surges at certain stages of life causing us to fight or fly. War the necessary province and culling of young men.

I have certainly experienced the overwhelmingly becoming otherness of a teenager from both sides now.

I am obviously now held hostage by my biology. As a breeder, I am now fighting for my children, not myself, at least never against their interests, as best as I can ever work it out.

So many things I used to fight for I have surrendered, slowly, subtly and like so many of us, while still paying lip service hypocritically to them.

I've woken up grumpy (and menopausal) and have been wondering where all the women warriors are! Why feminism seems to be forgotten.

Then I found some blogs like yours and realise that I had been looking in the wrong places.

Drop by andragy.com for a discrete indiscreet collection of my grumps.

Or newly launching on Radio National, KerrieJean.com.au, featuring Kerrie Jean Ross's fabulously dry but deliberately barren humour.

Another Outspoken Female said...

Andra - I think we are all shaped by the roles that we take on in life and by the point in our life that we are at. I don't have the same kind of fight in me that I had at 20. When I was younger I'd demonstrate against anything. Though very concentrated at times my energy was higher, broader, more scattershot. Now I use it like a precious thing - honing it with more accuracy, wasting it less. But when it hits a target I'd like to think there is more laser like precision than before.